In summer of 1985 a small group began to meet to determine the feasibility in starting an additional Christian Science church in the north Raleigh area. This came to fruition when the “Christian Science group” held their first Sunday service, the Sunday following Thanksgiving in the year 1985. Sunday services and Wednesday testimony meetings were conducted regularly at Effie Green Elementary school on Six Forks Road in the school library/media room including Sunday school classes in adjoining rooms. Much dedication was demonstrated by its members to setup for Sunday and Wednesday services. The podiums, chairs, piano, hymnals, etc. all had to be setup and removed for each service. I can recall how we would have to wait for the school custodian to arrive with the keys before we could enter the building…
In Sep ’87 we purchased the Hobson property on 5312 Falls of the Neuse Road for $125,000 with a special financial arrangement with the Hobson family. This church was the last to receive matching grant funds from the Mother Church in order to assist with the purchase of our current location. No bank in town, at that time, was receptive to our budding group. Payments were made directly to the Hobson family.
This continued until the Fidelity Bank loan was granted in late 1999.
In order to prepare for services, renovations were made to the building and grounds which included removing interior walls, constructing new men and women restrooms, converting a two car garage into a Sunday School and Reading room, painting, carpeting, new lighting, planting shrubs and trees, etc. The first service conducted in this new facility took place on Mother’s Day of May 1989.
In addition to our spiritual maturity since our inception we have added an access ramp to our sanctuary, replaced the HVAC system, paved the parking lot, replaced the porch columns and added exterior floodlights.
We are so very grateful and continue to be blessed for our growth both individually and collectively. ~ Charlie Konrad, charter member
of The Mother Church
The First Church of Christ, Scientist
To be signed by those uniting with The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts
- As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
- We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God’s image and likeness.
- We acknowledge God’s forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
- We acknowledge Jesus’ atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man’s unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; 16and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
- We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
- And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
MARY BAKER EDDY